- M.S., Computer Science, University of Washington, 2001. GPA 3.9.
(While working fulltime at Microsoft.)
- B.S., Computer Science, California Institute of Technology, 1998. GPA
3.8. (Graduated at age 18.)
2014 - present, Founder & CEO, Evertoon.
- Creating a product to disrupt the industry of video creation!
- Evertoon lets people write text and see it turned automatically into a 3D movie with avatars, animations, and special effects.
2010 - 2014, CTO, Minted.
- Led Engineering and helped grow the company's revenues by 20x, to
tens of millions in annual revenue.
- Recruited the company's engineering department from the ground up, into a
team of 35 people.
- Oversaw development, technical operations, business intelligence, quality assurance, and IT.
- Helped raise series B investment of $5.5M from Benchmark and series C investment of $41M from TCV.
- Interfaced with board of directors.
2010, Cofounder, Sunfire Offices.
- Cofounded a coworking space for 30+ startups. Sunfire was sponsored by venture capitalists including Sequoia, Benchmark, Kleiner Perkins, Omidyar, Khosla.
- Numerous Sunfire startups have achieved traction, and/or have notable exits (acquisitions by Dropbox, Edmodo, Jawbone, and others).
2003 - 2008, Engineering Manager, Google
Founder, Google Lively
Engineering Lead, Gmail Ads
- Created vision, founded the project.
- Recruited and managed a team from product inception through launch as lively.com.
- Co-inventor on 5 pending patents.
Cofounder, Google Desktop Search
- Led a team of engineers to improve Gmail revenue via
enhancements in text processing, information categorization, and user interface.
- Increased per-user revenue by 140% via fourteen improvements.
- Co-inventor on 3 pending patents.
Throughout Google experience
- Cofounded Desktop Search from product inception
through public launch. Desktop was used at peak by 75 million weekly
- Helped Google set up processes for client-side development, such as
Windows engineering hiring pipeline, configuration testing, performance
- Personally implemented key components including the search query system,
instant messenger capture, snippets, the sidebar.
- Co-inventor on 19 pending patents.
- Won a Google Founder's Award.
- Served on the Hiring Committee which makes offer decisions on candidates.
- Along with a lead recruiter, build the Windows recruiting process,
including job description, interview questions, training the interviewers,
determining job criteria, and finding sources for quality candidates.
- Interviewed 300+ engineering candidates.
- Screened 10 - 20 engineering resumes per week.
- Launched Movie Showtimes on google.com as a 20% project.
- Profiled in Google materials that appeared in New York Times, CNN,
FastCompany, monster.com, Fortune magazine.
1998 - 2003, Microsoft
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Software Engineer, Microsoft Sports and
- Managed the FX / UI developer team through shipping Flight
Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight.
- Created the dynamic weather system, the main selling point
of Flight Simulator 2004. This feature was proclaimed a breakthrough by reviewers.
- Developed a service that streams real-time weather conditions into
- Improved performance, doubling framerates and virtually eliminating stutters.
- Developed a technology for real-time cloud rendering, which I presented
at SIGGRAPH and GDC, and published in Journal of Graphics Tools.
- Improved multiplayer experience and matchmaking system.
Wrote flight instructor module.
- Interviewed 100+ engineering candidates.
- Implemented various areas of a racing game for PC and Xbox, including
UI, art pipeline, input system.
- Wrote a TF-IDF (information retrieval) library in python. Referenced by wikipedia as example implementation for TF-IDF.
- Wrote a web site for people to track goals, such as sleep, exercise, weight loss. The UCSF psychology research department and Berkeley psychology departments are customers.
The site is implemented in python using Django, running on EC2.
- Wang, N., Wade, B. Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow (and
Rain). Game Programming Gems 5, Charles River Media. 2005.
- Wang, N. Realistic and Fast Cloud Rendering, Journal of
Graphics Tools. 2004.
- Wang, N. Let There Be Clouds, Game Developers Magazine.
- Ishii, H., Page, S., Wang, N. 1999. A Day at the Beach:
Human Agents Self-Organizing on the Sand Pile. Advances in Complex
Systems. Vol 2, Issue 1. p 37 - 64.
- 27 pending patents for Google work. Two filed patents for Microsoft work.